MUEN 2131 Jazz Combo
CIP Code: 500903
Credit Hours: 1
External Hours: 2
Contact Hour Total: 32
Jazz Combo is designed to help students develop the skills necessary to perform proficiently in a small jazz ensemble. The course covers amount other subjects, performance technique, stylistic considerations, basic arranging, and basic improvisation. Smaller instrumental ensembles: wind, string, percussion, piano, or lab (jazz, rock, fusion, or contemporary).
Student Learning Outcomes
- Perform with technical proficiency assigned repertoire presenting good tone quality, rhythmic accuracy, correct stylistic articulation and expressiveness.
- Demonstrate listening and psychomotor skills to balance ones sound within the section and the ensemble.
- Prepare and present assigned music accurately while incorporating rhythmic subdivision, tone quality, range, articulation and dynamic control.
- Perform improvisations on the student’s main instrument with technical proficiency.
- Employ direction from instructors in rehearsals and performance.
- Render music with appropriate stylistic consideration commensurate with compositional era.
Prerequisite(s): Students must audition at the beginning of the semester to gain admittance into the ensemble. Students should be a member of the Blinn College band program although exceptions can be made.
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Lower Division Academic Course Guide Manual (ACGM) course
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)