(CIP Code: 51.3901)
The Blinn College Vocational Nursing Program is designed to provide students with the education and training needed to become highly-skilled nurses capable of working in a variety of medical settings. Available on the Brenham and Bryan campuses, the Program consists of classroom, laboratory and clinical experiences, and is completed in 10 months time. Currently, a new Blended option for pursuing the Vocational Nursing Program is being piloted at the Bryan campus. This option would allow for all lecture material to be completed in an online format, with skills lab and clinical experiences conducted on week nights and weekends, and would last for a full year. At this time, admissions into the Blended option is limited to a particular, pre-identified applicant group until the pilot phase has been completed.
Admissions is on a competitive basis, and students are admitted each Fall semester. Upon satisfactory completion of all the curriculum, a Vocational Nursing Certificate is issued to the student. Graduates are then eligible to take the NCLEX-PN. The graduate will be considered a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) after successfully passing the examination.
The Vocational Nursing Programs are accredited by the Texas Board of Nursing, 333 Guadalupe, #3-460, Austin, TX 78701, (512) 305-7400, FAX (512) 305-7401.
This is a competitive entry, cohort Applied Sciences Program at Blinn College. To be eligible for admissions into one of the Vocational Nursing Program options, the following minimum criteria must be met.
- Complete all admissions requirements to Blinn College. Acceptance into Blinn College does not guarantee acceptance into the Vocational Nursing Program. Admissions requirements for Blinn College should be seen as separate requirements from those within the Vocational Nursing Programs’ application packets.
- Be TSI College Ready in all subjects by Blinn College standards.
- Attend an Information Session for each Vocational Nursing Program option to obtain the appropriate application packet. Brenham campus, Bryan campus and Blended option all have separate application packets, and require completion of each individual application packet for an applicant to be considered for admissions into that option.
- Completion of the Vocational Nursing Program application packet(s) and all requirements therein by the stated deadline. Each application packet is separate and an applicant must provide individual documentation for each packet completed.
- Take the ATI TEAS test with the following minimums-
- Composite score of 65 or higher.
- Reading, Math and English/Language Usage sections score of 50 or higher (for each).
- Science section score of 33.3 or higher.
- Optional items considered, but not required-
- 20 or more volunteer hours completed within one year of the application deadline.
- Completion, with a “C” or better, of any college courses leading to a health care field.
- Completion of college degree(s).
- Current health care certification(s), OR 2 or more years employment in the health care field with direct patient interaction.
Admitted students will be required to show proof of required immunizations and submit to a criminal background check and drug screening process to be eligible to continue into the Vocational Nursing Program.
For the most accurate admissions requirements, please see the Programs’ websites at www.blinn.edu/twe/vocn_brenham/ or www.blinn.edu/twe/vocn/. Advising for current Blinn students regarding this Program can be scheduled by emailing email@example.com.